DAConsult Forums
DAConsult Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Windows
 Vista
 "Attempting repairs" never finishes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
1029usr078198 Posted - August 29 2009 : 19:45:52
Sometimes Vista will just sit at "Attempting repairs" for hours and hours and never finish. What I found was a forum post (at http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-general/162651-start-up-repair-problem.html) that says the following:

1. Boot up with Vista install disc Starting up without the disc should be fine, but if you don't have it, skip to step 4
2. Select the necessary options and hit Next
3. Hit Next again once I had the OS selected
4. Then it went to searching for problems...

At this point, quickly press Escape or click Cancel - time is of the essence here. The original poster of these instructions left that step out.

5. Then it came up with a box to say Restore or Cancel. (Usually I would hit restore and it would just say attempting repairs forever)
6. Instead, hit cancel, and it will come up with saying it couldn't fix the issue.
7. At the bottom there are 2 options, "View log of diagnostics" or "View Advanced Options" (hit the second one)
8. This brings up that menu that you should've gotten even if you hit restore. From here you can choose to either restore, complete pc restore, etc.

Hopefully you can figure out how to get here with these steps and be able to restore your computer to an earlier time when it worked!

Hope it helps,
David

DAConsult Forums © 2007-2010 David Anderson Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.01 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06