DAConsult Forums
DAConsult Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Windows
 Windows 7
 Windows could not finish configuring the system"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
1029usr078198 Posted - February 16 2011 : 10:30:52
If you get the message in the subject while starting Windows 7 for the first time, especially at the "Starting Services" phase, try this: (based on info found here and here.

1. Boot the affected system. When the error message comes up during the "starting services" phase, press Shift+F10 to open a CMD window.

2. CD C:\Windows\Panther to navigate to the folder where the logs are.

3. Tracerpt setup.etl -o logfile.csv (check TechNet’s tracerpt full syntax) In my case, this worked without navigating to other folders first.

4. Notepad logfile.csv will open the log file.

5. In Notepad, search for fail or failed, because what you're (in my case) looking for is "Failed to process reg key or one of it's decendants". Note the registry key(s) mentioned. In my case it was several keys under one branch.

6. Back in the command window, regedit opens the registry editor and you can navigate to the place where the error lies.

7. On the off chance those entries were necessary later, I exported that one branch of the registry, saving it in the root folder of C:.

8. Delete the affected key and reboot.

Other things you can do are found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981542 (a hotfix to correct issues with registry keys greater than 8KB) This may fix the issue I had, but would have required reloading Windows.
http://ict.myjewe.nl/ict/?p=103 This article speaks about disabling the Windows Media Sharing Service.

Hope it helps,
David

DAConsult Forums © 2007-2010 David Anderson Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06