DAConsult Forums
DAConsult Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Windows
 Small Business Server
 Fixing RRAS, RWW, and other Remote Items

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
1029usr078198 Posted - September 20 2012 : 17:25:59
OK, When you have to fix these things, one of the best tools to have is RARepair. It will reinstall RRAS for you, but be ready, it takes a couple of reboots to do its job. When it does, it will likely break the DNS settings of a domain controller because it won't have the domain name listed. So, while the Remote Access Wizard will complete properly, the system won't be left in a good state. This Microsoft KB Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888048 will help you fix that.

Your primary symptom is a warning Error 414 in the DNS Server Event Viewer.

From the KB article:
quote:
This issue may occur because of a corrupted registry entry in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
One of more of the following registry entries in this registry subkey may be corrupted:
•Domain
•Hostname
•NV Domain
•NV Hostname

In case that article goes away, the gist of it is that you should:

1. Run Regedit

2. Navigate to the registry key quoted above.

3. Delete each of those four string values. I presume that this removes the corrupted entries.

4. Recreate each of them with the correct values. Domain and NV Domain get the local DNS domain name, and the Hostname and NV Hostname values get the computer's NetBIOS name.

5. Restart the Net Logon service. You shouldn't have to restart the computer, but keep reading... restarting might be easier.

You'll also have to go back into the DNS records and manually update them to add the domain name to get your Active Directory functional again. This might be done with a simple reboot, but I'm not certain. Be sure and look in all zones including both the forward and reverse lookup zones.

While you're in there, check the DNS tab in the Advanced TCP/IP settings dialog for the network adapter and set the "DNS suffix for this connection", and make sure that "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix", "Register this connection's addresses in DNS", and "Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration" are all checked.

Yes, I know these instructions assume you know how to get to these places, but that's because I'm in a hurry right now before I forget what I just did.

BTW, another thing this process repairs is the error message when trying to run SBS Setup that says you have to be a member of the Domain Admins, Schema Admins, and Enterprise Admins groups to run Setup, assuming that you actually ARE a member of all those groups.

Hope it helps,
David

DAConsult Forums © 2007-2010 David Anderson Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06