New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1029usr078198
Forum Admin

USA
333 Posts

Posted - September 04 2008 :  05:42:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit 1029usr078198's Homepage  Click to see 1029usr078198's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A system I worked on once exhibited the following symptoms:

1. When logging into the domain, the system would hang at "Applying computer settings" and remain there for well over 30 minutes.
2. While in the above condition, if I disconnected the network cable, the system would pause briefly, then complete the login using the cached profile.
3. From a command prompt, the GPUPDATE /force command wouldn't complete. Other systems on the domain required approximately 15 seconds for the same thing.
4. The Domain Controller's shared resources are accessible.
5. During troubleshooting, I attempted to remove the computer from the domain and re-add it. Removal was successful from the computer's point of view, but took longer than normal. The server failed to consider the system removed, according to Active Directory Users and Computers, so I removed it manually there.
6. Trying to re-add the system would fail with the error: An error occurred attempting to join the domain. The RPC server was unavailable.

I noticed (and dismissed) a program called Hide My IP 2008 which had been installed by the user. Looking at the Event Viewer, I noticed I was getting DCOM errors. While attempting to determine their source, I tried to open Component Services as directed by Windows Help and Support. The Component Services snap-in would close, and the COM+ Application Service would shut down. I noticed that the source of the DCOM errors was Hide My IP. I don't recall how I finally got Component Services to operate properly, but on a hunch, based on one article that suggested setting a static IP address could solve the problem, I uninstalled Hide My IP 2008, thinking it might be hiding too much.

I rebooted the computer after the uninstallation and tried rejoining the domain... Success! After the required restart, I tried logging into the domain... Success! it took less than a minute to log on. I logged off and let the user log into the system... Again, Success! short login times had returned.

So, the short version of the whole thing is: don't install Hide My IP 2008 on domain client computers.

For more information on this topic, see Slow boot at "Applying computer settings"

Hope it helps,
David
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DAConsult Forums © 2007-2010 David Anderson Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06