New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1029usr078198
Forum Admin

USA
333 Posts

Posted - September 18 2008 :  11:03:06  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit 1029usr078198's Homepage  Click to see 1029usr078198's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have used this procedure a couple of times when my clients have wanted to set up a copier as a printer, and do so wirelessly. I set everything up with a DHCP reservation whenever possible. This way, I only need to change the properties of the DHCP server if I have to change IP addressing schemes in the future. In one case, the router (a Netgear) supported the reservation process, and in the other, I set it up with Small Business Server's DHCP server. When I do this, I set up the Access Point in AP Client mode and give it an otherwise unused IP address. I then set up the copier/printer to have the next sequential IP address.

First, set up the IP Address reservation in the DHCP server. If you are going to ultimately use static addressing, start with step 3.

1. Look on the bottom of the Access Point and write down the MAC Address.
2. Set up a reservation for this MAC address in your DHCP server (router or Windows)

Next, set up the Access Point with compatible wireless settings for your LAN. It's default IP address is 192.168.1.245, and a default password of admin. Setting up the wireless settings should be done in a wired configuration unless the Wireless LAN(WLAN) has the SSID linksys.

3. Connect a network cable from a computer to the access point.
4. Set the IP address of that LAN adapter to 192.168.1.1; subnet mask 255.255.255.0
5. In the run box, type: http://192.168.1.245
6. For login credentials, leave the username blank and type admin in the password box.
7. Click the Wireless tab on the web page.
8. Under the Network Name (SSID): setting, change it to match the SSID of the WLAN.
9. Click Save Settings to save this information and let the Access Point reboot.

Now set the AP's LAN IP Address to either DHCP, or to it's static IP address. This will allow it to be a functioning AP on your network.

10. Log back into the Access Point as above if necessary.
11. If you are using static addressing, leave the configuration type set to Static and set the IP address to the address you finally wish the Access Point to have. If you are using the reservation method, then choose a configuration type of DHCP so the DHCP server can automatically assign its address.
12. Click Save Settingsto save this information and let the AP reboot.
13. Disconnect the network cable between the computer and AP, and plug that cable into the AP and a network switch.

Now that the AP is functioning as an AP on your network, you're ready to change its role to that of AP Client.

14. Log into the AP as previously if necessary.
15. Next to Network Setup, click AP Mode.
16. Click the option button next to AP Client.
17. Click the Site Survey button. A new browser window will open showing the Access Points on your network.
18. Click the one representing the Access Point you want this client communicating with and its MAC address will be automatically filled in.
19. Click Save Settings to save and let the AP reboot.
20. Verify that you can still access the AP's configuration pages.

Finally, connect the copier/printer to the network cable and set the copier/printer to either the Static IP address you've chosen for it, making sure that this IP address is compatible with your network, or set the copier/printer to get its address via DHCP if you've used the reservation method. How you do this varies between copier/printers and so cannot be included here. Generally it can be accessed from a menu on the copier/printer.

Since you need the MAC address of the copier/printer to set a reservation, you may have to let the copier/printer come up with just any old IP address then track that address down and find the MAC in the DHCP server's list of active leases. Alternately, you may be able to find the MAC address of the copier/printer directly from its control panel. If using the DHCP reservation method, set up a reservation for the copier/printer's MAC address and turn the power on the copier/printer off and back on.

Hope it helps,
David
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DAConsult Forums © 2007-2010 David Anderson Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06