New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1029usr078198
Forum Admin

USA
333 Posts

Posted - October 02 2008 :  07:42:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit 1029usr078198's Homepage  Click to see 1029usr078198's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Listen now. or Download the archive.

Question: Cathy writes, “For several years I’ve been receiving e-mails sent to another user in my Microsoft e-mail account. My husband’s friend did not intend for me to be the recipient of his conversations. Why would Microsoft e-mail put this in my account?”

Answer: The only thing I can think of is that one way or another, those messages were actually being sent to you. The question is, "How?" Without seeing your system, I cannot be certain which of these answers it is, but it's probably accidental, and one of the following:

1. Outlook & Outlook Express can have rules enabled. Those rules include a method to automatically forward received mail to another person. Someone could have set up such a rule on the other user's computer and forgot about it.
2. Outlook & Outlook Express can also be set up to receive mail from more than one email account at a time. It's possible that, again, your husband's friend set the computer up to receive mail from his account and then forgot to undo it when the reason for setting this up passed.
3. The only other thing I can think of is something spam or virus-related.

Now, after I wrote this back to Cathy, I had a similar situation come up in a business, and when we looked, this user had a “catchall” account. Such an account will receive all mail addressed to your company, so the user was getting email from folks whose accounts had been deleted.

Cool Site: www.skyangel.com: All these channels and nothing on TV; nothing good, anyway. If you struggle to find family friendly and faith friendly programming, check out www.skyangel.com. Sky Angel, used to be a satellite network, but now streams its content over the Web. If you have an Internet connection that’s at least 1.5megabits per second, the Sky Angel set-top box will make over 65 channels of both TV and radio available depending on the package you choose. The website has a 25 minute infomercial you can watch. From the website, you can browse the available TV and radio channels, including Faith TV, FamilyNet, The Church Channel, GodTV, Discovery Kids, Fox News Channel, CBS College Sports; and that’s just a quick sample. One thing I noticed while watching their infomercial: the video and audio got out of sync the longer I watched. I became aware of this site from one of our listeners. Now I hope that listener’s problem is not widespread, because this looks really cool.

Cool Gadget: 3D LCD Panels: Gearlog.com is again the source of our cool gadget this week. We’ve all seen 3D before. Of course, the basis of all 3D display technologies is making each eye see an image from slightly different angles as they normally do. Most of these technologies require the viewer to wear glasses to create the effect. I have seen one very expensive 3D display that didn’t require glasses, so it’s possible, but you don’t want to stand too close or it destroys the effect. Well, coming to a cell phone near you beginning as early as next year, 3D LCD displays that don’t require glasses in order to work. A Japanese company is showing prototypes of a small 3-ish inch 800 x 480 display at a trade show called CEATEC. Strip-shaped barriers are placed on the surface of the LCD that force each eye to see different images. They say this can convert 2 dimensional images to 3D on the fly.

It's All “Geek” To Me: codec: Well, it wasn’t planned, but this has really been a multimedia-themed show. This week’s Geek term is CODEC. Now, this is not Kodak, the camera company; and it’s also not Codex, which is what we think of when we think of a book, as opposed to a scroll. Codec is a combination of coder and decoder. Audio and video have to be compressed so they don’t take up a ton of disk space. It also makes it possible to send audio and video over the Internet, like listening to KBJS or watching Sky Angel programming. Anything that’s compressed has to be decompressed to be used, and programs like Windows Media Player or Apple’s QuickTime decompress video and audio to play them. Windows Media Player usually can automatically download codecs as needed, but be careful of the source, because some “codec packages” carry viruses and spyware.

Links

Sky Angel:
http://www.skyangel.com

Gearlog's Article on 3D LCDs: http://www.gearlog.com/2008/10/3d_lcd_and_oled_panels_for_cel.php#more
CEATEC report:
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20081001/158928/

Codec Definition on TechTerms:
http://www.techterms.com/definition/codec

Or on Wikipedia (much more technical):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DAConsult Forums © 2007-2010 David Anderson Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06