New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1029usr078198
Forum Admin

USA
333 Posts

Posted - February 26 2009 :  17:00:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit 1029usr078198's Homepage  Click to see 1029usr078198's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Listen now. or Download the archive.

Question: Karen writes, "I bought a new printer with built-in wireless capability. How can I connect to it with both my desktop and laptop computers?"

Answer: In general, you can choose to connect the printer to a computer using USB and also wired or wirelessly to your home network.

Eddie: But what if I don't have a home network?

David: If the printer has the wireless built in, it's not really necessary. But if you have a wireless router that you're using to share a high-speed Internet connection, you have all the makings of a home network. If your printer has both a wireless and an Ethernet connection, then you can choose, but if your printer is located close to the router, I'd say to use the wired Ethernet connection on the printer to connect to the router. In any event, run the CD and let it do its thing and you should be connected in no time.

Cool Site: No Phone Trees.com: Don't you just love these phone systems, "For this, press 1, for that, press 2, for this other thing that sounds like what you want but turns out not to be, press 3"! I just want to get to a real live person. When these first came into use, you could usually get to a live person by just waiting a while, because you still had a good number of rotary phones out there that couldn’t use the system anyway. But who has rotary phones anymore? One site to help you get around these trees and right to a live person is No Phone Trees.com The site has categorized listings for companies from A-Y, no Z's. There’s a search feature so you don’t have to navigate yet another tree, and an alphabetic list of sites. I don't know how often they verify their trees because these things change from time to time. If nothing else, this is a good reference for finding Toll-Free numbers to call.

Cool Gadget: P.L.E.A.S.E.: Like I said last week, Star Trek's getting here as fast as it can. Do you have a problem with needles? Kids usually do. But one company, Pantec Biosolutions, is working to change that. Their painless laser epidermal system can perform injections without needles. The laser creates what they call an aqueous micropore in the skin and the medications pass through it.

It's All "Geek" To Me: default: Default is a preset. It's what you get if you don't choose something else. For instance, there's a default printer. You may choose a different printer, but this one will be chosen for you first. Another example, the rolling hills and sky background of Windows XP is a default setting. In many cases, there's no need to change the default.

Eddie: Then why have a setting?

David: In some cases it's for personalization, like your desktop wallpaper. Other times you can get better performance by changing the settings. Sometimes, you have two programs that can use the same types of files, like how both iTunes and Windows Media Player can play MP3 files. By default, the last one you set up will take over playing MP3 files. If that's not what you want, you can change the default.

Links

NoPhoneTrees.Com
http://www.nophonetrees.com

Needle-less injection System on DVICE:
http://dvice.com/archives/2008/02/please_is_a_pai.php

P.L.E.A.S.E. on MedGadget:
http://www.medgadget.com/archives/2008/02/pleasepainless_laser_epidermal_system.html

Default on TechTerms:
http://www.techterms.com/definition/default
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DAConsult Forums © 2007-2010 David Anderson Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06