New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1029usr078198
Forum Admin

USA
333 Posts

Posted - November 01 2009 :  14:46:08  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit 1029usr078198's Homepage  Click to see 1029usr078198's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

vPro is Good for Business
Intel's newest business platform makes computers more secure and manageable

Posted 12/27/2008, Updated 11/1/2009
Intel® has introduced the next iteration of it's vPro® platform, and this time they've included a version for laptops, called Centrino® with vPro. These allow for a raft of new manageability features when paired up with appropriate management software. Some of the new features include:

• Remote Power Control This feature lets management software turn your computer on and off without you even having to be there. This feature is great because workers can turn their computers off when they leave at the end of the day. If your IT (Information Technology) staff needs to get into the system, they can start it from their desks, even if their desk happens to be in another state.

• Remote BIOS Setup With this feature, a system troubleshooter can connect to a system as it's booting and check BIOS settings remotely, modify boot order, and verify settings are correct. The great thing about this feature is that it works even if Windows™ won't boot!

• Redirected IDE If your computer won't boot from your hard drive, new vPro systems allow you to choose a hard drive image on the server as your boot drive and boot from it. That way, you can still keep going even if your hard drive dies.

But these are only the beginning. Other features like power savings due to the way the new processors and chipsets take advantage of the slow times, make battery life longer on Centrino with vPro notebooks. The Execute Disable bit helps prevent virus infections stemming from insecure program code.

Q. How do I know I have these features?
A. Look for "vPro" on the Intel label on your new computer. Don't have a new computer? We can build you one that's verified to include the new vPro technologies.

Q. What must I get if I'm going to buy a computer elsewhere, and want to make sure I have vPro?
A. You'll need three components to be sure you are vPro compatible, even if your vendor hasn't certified them for vPro. These are: 1) An Intel Core™ 2 Duo Processor. 2) An Intel Q33 Express, Q35 Express, Q43 Express or Q45 Express chipset. 3) An Intel 82566 DM Gigabit LAN Adapter. After that, your system will need to have its Management Engine (ME) provisioned for your network. Once done, it should be able to link right into your management software.

Q. Where can I get more information?
A. At Intel's vPro website: http://www.intel.com/go/vpro
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DAConsult Forums © 2007-2010 David Anderson Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06