New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1029usr078198
Forum Admin

USA
333 Posts

Posted - July 22 2011 :  12:01:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit 1029usr078198's Homepage  Click to see 1029usr078198's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Listen now. or Download the archive.

Question: Miss Hattie says, "I'm having trouble getting to my banking website. The bank's representative has been here, and everything is set as they said it should be. What else could be wrong?"

Answer: Good question, Miss Hattie. I'd suggest doing three things. First, run your antimalware scans. It could be that some fairly innocuous program has put an add-on onto your system that's gumming up the works. While you're at it, make sure that if you have any extra toolbars whatsoever, you disable or uninstall them because these can have a deleterious effect on banking websites. If those two suggestions fail, you can try either using another browser, or resetting Internet Explorer's settings. To reset the settings, go to the Tools menu and choose Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab, then under Reset Internet Explorer Settings, click the Reset button. If you do the reset, you'll have to restart Internet Explorer and redo the stuff the bank said to do that should make it work. That's why we try this last.

Cool Site: Intel AppUp: Did you know the average smartphone user has 27 apps? We're all familiar with Apple's iTunes AppStore, where you can get application programs to run on your iOS devices. You may have heard about the Android Market for your Android-based smartphone, and you may even have heard about the Windows Phone 7 Marketplace. But each of those is for phones. What about the many folks that bought netbooks? Netbooks don't have optical drives. How do you get new programs? Well, you can of course download anything, but what if you want to play Fruit Ninja, or Angry Birds? What then? You could go to this week's cool site: AppUp. AppUp is a site put together by Intel that brings the Application Store concept to Netbooks, laptops, and other kinds of computing devices. What you do is to visit appup.com, and then click where it says Download Intel AppUp to get started. The Intel AppUp(SM) center will be installed on your computer, and you can get started looking for your favorite apps. The apps themselves are based on Adobe Air, so that also has to be downloaded. The apps cost from free to $10, with about 35-40% free, the rest are for pay. Angry Birds is $4.99. Apps downloaded from the AppUp Catalog have a 24-hour try before you buy feature, and you can use apps you bought on up to 5 different devices. Pretty cool!

Cool Gadget: BioFuel Caffeinated Popcorn: This week's cool gadget was suggested by one of my guys, who found it on ThinkGeek. Now, because it was on ThinkGeek, it's really geeky. Check this out; it's called BioFuel Caffeinated Popcorn, I told you it was geeky. He brought some to work the other day and let us try it. I brought some to the station today for Eddie to try. The taste of this is similar to Kettle Corn, but with a distinct aftertaste of coffee. Now, I'm not a big fan of Kettle Corn, and I didn't much care for that aftertaste at first, but I found that strangely, one grows accustomed to it fairly quickly, so give it a few handfuls. The process of making it is also similar to that of Kettle Corn. Not everyone should consume caffeine, so the bag carries warnings to that effect as well as a generic, "Keep out of reach of children" warning. Three, 5oz. bags will set you back $5 at ThinkGeek when they get it back in stock. You can also find this unique caffeine delivery system at biofuelfoods.com. Of course, we'll have links to these in the show notes. So, if you're hungry and sleepy at the same time, this is for you.

It's All "Geek" To Me: W00T: This week's word has been one of our cool websites. It's Woot. Now, woot.com has been a cool website of the week in the past. Back then, I just thought this was what they called their website. But now, I find that woot is a variously-defined slang interjection of joy. Woot is most properly spelled W – zero – zero T, and some folks will argue that this is the only proper spelling. It was one of Merriam-Webster's words of the year in 2007. Wikipedia adds the following, "Others have theorized the term is an acronym for 'We Owned the Other Team'.[1] It has also been alleged that 'w00t' is a contraction of the phrase 'wonderous loot' used in Ultima Online and 'Wonderful Loot' in Everquest whenever a player found large quantities of/or rare valuable items in game. W00t is also somewhat like the Scots word 'hoots', which is used in a similar manner — an exclamation signifying surprise, disbelief, or kindred reaction. Another supposed origin is as an expression used by a hacker (see security cracking) who has just broken into a computer system, obtaining 'root' access: 'woot, I have root!'". So, woot! It's a good thing.

Links

Tech Tip Friday's Show Notes RSS Feed:
http://www.daconsult.com/downloads/rss.xml

Intel AppUp:
http://www.appup.com/applications/index

BioFuel Caffeinated Popcorn at Thinkgeek:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/candy/e6b9/

BioFuel Caffeinated Popcorn:
http://www.biofuelfoods.com

Woot at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W00t
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DAConsult Forums © 2007-2010 David Anderson Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06