New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1029usr078198
Forum Admin

USA
333 Posts

Posted - February 16 2008 :  10:26:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit 1029usr078198's Homepage  Click to see 1029usr078198's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

AOL AntiSpyware Useless
Can we just admit it now?

Posted 2/6/2008
Seriously, can't we just admit that America Online's AntiSpyware scanner is a joke? Now this is only my opinion, and it could be just me, but I have cleaned tons of spyware off computers that were "protected" with AOL's AntiSpyware offering. Why? Given AOL's propensity to force-feed updates to its subscribers, I can't imagine that they'd let anyone have outdated spyware signatures. If you are protected by AOL AntiSpyware and don't believe me, run the online scanners from XBlock and Grisoft (formerly Ewido). If I were a gambler, and not a computer guy, I'd give you 10-to-1 odds one or both of these will find something... or several somethings.

A quick Google search reveals that originally AOL's AntiSpyware software was by Aluria. After Aluria was acquired by rival ISP Earthlink in 2005, AOL switched to software based on CA's eTrust PestPatrol. I haven't used PestPatrol, but I hope it isn't as bad as the opinion I have of AOL's branded software.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DAConsult Forums © 2007-2010 David Anderson Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06